Tuesday, February 12, 2013

D.A.I.S.Y. Rage Review


Although she's been around for a while, Kitty (formerly known as Kitty Pryde) has only just started receiving the amount of acclaim she rightfully deserves. She first got noticed when she worked with Riff Raff on "Orion's Belt", and her track "Okay Cupid" got her even further recognized, especially on Tumblr. Now, with the release of her new EP, D.A.I.S.Y. Rage, Kitty is finally becoming known, and I absolutely love it. There's just something about Kitty that is so sincere and endearing that makes her clever rhymes and sparkly beats irresistible.


It came as a surprise to a lot of people how great of a lyricist Kitty is, especially when she's in top form on tracks like "☠DEAD❤ISLAND☠" and "R.R.E.A.M." Lines like "Wiz is black and yellow and I'm white and fucking terrible" and "You're unable to discern if I'm the wunderkind or underdog, so fuck it all" are direct references to some of the crappy things Kitty's haters like to say about her. Kitty has a habit of paying attention to what people say about her, good or bad, and making fun of them no matter whether it's positive or negative. She's extremely self-deprecating, and she's not afraid to talk about her stress rashes in "R.R.E.A.M." and her bedwetting in "$krillionaire". She knows that, guess what, we all have problems and weird things that our bodies do. She always cries after performing live because she gets so stressed, but she's learned to deal with things that would make others cripplingly afraid of putting themselves out there. She doesn't need you to say nice things about her, because she knows she's bad and she knows she's good, too.

D.A.I.S.Y. Rage is undeniably dreamy, beginning on "Unfollowed.", the opening track, and going through "ay shawty 3.0 (feat. lakutis)", "NO OFFENSE!!!!!", and hitting its sparkly, wavy high on "hittin lixxx". She definitely has a signature sound, one that isn't surprising for a girl on the Internet in the age of Tumblr soft grunge and kawaii blogs (believe me, I know, I'm one of them). This dreaminess plays well with a lot of her subject matter - that is, boys, or at the very least one specific boy. It doesn't really matter who it is, although people are going to ask her. All that matters is the great material she got out of him/them: she goes from ripping on them in "NO OFFENSE!!!!", which is a fabulous diss track, to asking them to "lemme holla at you" in "ay shawty 3.0 (feat. lakutis)", with a great chorus and a great job by Lakutis.

Other tracks worth noting are "$krillionaire (feat. travie mccoy) (feat. all-american rejects)" for its great lines like "Undercut me like I'm Skrillex hair" and "I cry all of the time and I'm Eliza in the wild/and I babble to the tigers in the forest", and "scout finch bitch (feat. antwon)" which is cute and funny ("No, Mom, don't listen to 'twon, nobody has cocaine on 'em, and I never do anything wrong, k?") and which reminds you that Kitty often goes on tour with her mom and still actually has to answer to her parents. I especially love any time Kitty sings, like the ditty from Grease in "Unfollowed." and on "$krillionaire". She's always just a little bit off-key, which is super charming and which helps you imagine her singing along to her car radio. This album reminds us that Kitty is just a witty, self-aware girl from Florida, but it also reminds us that she's incredibly wise and talented. I can't wait to hear more from her, and until then, I'm going to keep following her Tumblr (where she talks about how much she hates her hometown and gives advice to her followers!) and you should, too.

My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment