Sunday, January 20, 2013

Something Great Sunday 1-20-13

Hey everybody! I hope you enjoyed my shitty Les Mis review earlier this week. Later I'm going to be writing a shitty Django Unchained review! And then hopefully I'll get back to writing actual good reviews, immediately after I watch the movie/listen to the album/read the book, etc., LIKE I'M SUPPOSED TO. It's taking me a really long time to get settled into this new semester, but that isn't stopping me from wasting time with awesome media, like...





1. Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry - We watched this movie in my drawing class instead of actually drawing, which was a nice break from drawing for three hours straight, like we normally do. It was SO GOOD. I kept having to fight back tears because I didn't want to cry in front of all my classmates, but it was a really inspirational and moving film.



2. Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama by Alison Bechdel - I got this memoir from my school library. I absolutely adore Alison Bechdel, and Fun Home was such an amazing book that I'm really glad she did a follow-up about her mother. So far it can be a little obtuse and focuses a lot on psychology, which can be hard to follow, but I still really like it.



3. Relaunched Marvel Now X-Men - Did you guys hear about this?? It's going to be an X-Men title featuring a team made up purely of women! It's going to be starring Jubilee, Rogue, Storm (with her mohawk!), Rachel Grey, Kitty Pryde, and Psylocke. I'm super pumped!!



4. Azealia Banks - I've been listening to her song "212" pretty much on repeat for like four days. It's spectacular. Note: It's EXTREMELY NSFW. Use headphones.



5. The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius - My friends and I have been watching the first season in a burst of nostalgia and I love it. It's one of the best cartoons of the 2000's, and it's got even more great jokes when you watch it as an adult (like the Godfather reference in the second episode). It's on Netflix! Go watch it!



6. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries - I've been hearing a lot about this web series on tumblr, and I'm a sucker for anything Pride & Prejudice related, so I decided to watch it. I'm on the eighteenth episode and I'm totally hooked. I can't wait for Darcy to finally show up!!



7. Pan's Labyrinth - Me and my friend Maddie Mo decided to watch this movie together and it's so good! Really scary, of course (she had a few nightmares, but I'm a stone cold movie watcher) but really beautifully done and poignant. I love you Guillermo del Toro!



8. Django Unchained Soundtrack - I bought this a few days ago because I thought the soundtrack was really freaking good while I was watching the movie, and you know what? IT'S REALLY FREAKING GOOD.



9. Frida - I love this movie so I decided to get it from the library and watch it again. Watch it if you've never seen it, Salma Hayek does an amazing job portraying Frida Kahlo, and this movie is GREAT. I think while I have it from the library I'm going to try to convince some friends to watch it with me so I can, y'know, expose Frida's amazing-ness to the world.



10. Puella Magi Madoka Magica - This is such a great anime. I started watching it over the summer but I didn't finish it, so I started again. The animation is really pretty, and I like how it takes the idea of teenagers fighting evil that's so prevalent in anime and manga, and shows what would actually happen (i.e. HORRIBLE THINGS).

I didn't think I was going to have enough things for this week's SGS, but I totally did! Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment